Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Starting from Scratch

Just like making a cake from scratch for the first time, we have to have a recipe to know the ingredients. Each ingredient is important, without one the cake would not be as effective to your taste buds as it could be. Also, if you eat the ingredients separately, they taste nasty and not like cake at all.


I am not making a cake, but I am trying to make a healthier lifestyle. Well I'm kind of starting from scratch. Like most people, I sometimes don't know where to begin. Although I might have a slight advantage because i studied nutrition and personal training in college.  I still have all this information rolling around in my head with no organization, and since I've become a mom it's gotten worse. Well I'm going to try and organize here on the blog. I know the ingredients, I just need to put them in order in my life.



My goals for May: Start exercising again! I'm going to start with 2 times a week for 30 minutes. What am I going to do? That is a good question.

I know the key ingredients: Cardio, Strength and Stretching

Cardio: Go for a brisk walk  15 minutes, break a sweat!!
Either around the neighborhood or walking in place while watching my favorite show. That's right, no more sitting down to watch TV!! It helps me to have upbeat music to walk to so if there is nothing entertaining on TV the IPOD is great!
The best way to tell if I'm getting a good workout is if I'm sweating. Or as my husband says, "Glistens."

Strength: 25 Push-ups, 25 Crunches Repeated 3 times 5 minutes
               25 squats, 25 squat lifts repeated 3 times 5 minutes
arms, abs, legs, check! our major muscle groups worked.
Push-up tip: since we are starting from scratch, I can use a counter or dresser to do my push-ups on until I can better support my weight on the floor.

Crunch tip: Breathe!!! Inhale on the down; exhale on the up. Also fill those lungs with air! Muscles love oxygen.

Stretching: Take 10 minutes to stretch muscles worked.
Keep safety in mind while stretching. Keep the knees over the toes. Keeps the hips in line and never put pressure on the inside of your knee.
Here is a good website showing 10 basic stretches, how to do them and safety tips.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043


Here is a good start.  We'll see how it goes this week. Eventually I want to post videos of workouts that are easy to do and include the 3 key ingredients. But for now, let's get baking!



5 comments:

  1. I love this so much! You're amazing Bethani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Beth! I can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I was logged in as Brad. Whoops! This sounds like something even I can do. Thanks Bethani!

    ReplyDelete